Wednesday 20 April 2011

Blog Entry 4. Omerta



Omertà[1] is a popular attitude and code of honor, common in areas of southern Italy, such as Sicily, Apulia, Calabria, and Campania, where criminal organizations such as the Mafia, 'Ndrangheta, Sacra Corona Unita, and Camorra are strong. It also exists to a lesser extent in certain Italian-American neighborhoods where the Italian-American Mafia has influence and other Italian ethnic enclaves in countries where there is the presence of Italian organized crime (i.e. Germany, Canada, Australia).[citation needed] A common definition is the "code of silence".
Omertà implies “the categorical prohibition of cooperation with state authorities or reliance on its services, even when one has been victim of a crime.[2] Even if somebody is convicted of a crime he has not committed, he is supposed to serve the sentence without giving the police any information about the real criminal, even if that criminal has nothing to do with the Mafia himself. Within Mafia culture, breaking omertà is punishable by death.
The code was adopted by Sicilians long before the emergence of Cosa Nostra (some observers date it to the 16th century as a way of opposing Spanish rule).[3] It is also deeply rooted in rural Crete, Greece.[4]

"Who ever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,who ever can not take care of himself without that law is both,for a wounded man shall say to his assailant,If I live I will kill you,if I die,you are forgiven,such is the rule of honour."

And this brings me to the next point. Honour. What the fuck happened to honour? Since when does winning a fight with your pack of dogs count as winning? I cant remember the last time I saw a proper one on one fight,two guys slugging it out oldschool style. No friends backing you up,no bats or chains,a pure unadulterated fist fight to the very end. 

I tend to think of myself as one of the last bastions of decent bad ass. I call people older than myself Sir and Madam,get up when someone enters a room and greet with a firm handshake. But do not tempt the snake,I will bite. And I will not think twice about knocking your head of if you piss me off. 

Guys,and ladies,if you ever read this,put down your phone the next time someone walks into a room,get up and greet them. And if someone cuts you off in traffic,give him the finger,lets see if they have the balls to fuck with you. Less talk. More fight. Demand respect,but give it when it is due. This is me saying to society,screw your love not fight bullshit ideas. If you fuck with me,I WILL bite a piece of your face off.

No comments:

Post a Comment